The purpose of the Center is to establish an ongoing program in economic education. Specific functions of the Center include:
- Improving instructional programs in economics by developing, evaluating, and improving courses in economics for teacher; conducting workshops and other in-service economic education courses for teachers; conducting workshops and other in-service economic education courses for teachers in elementary and secondary schools; and sponsoring and operating adult economic education courses for business, industry, and the community.
- Providing consultations for schools, educational agencies, and community organizations to develop comprehensive economic education programs within their curriculum.
- Conducting research on methods and teaching of economics education.
- Identifying and distributing effective economic education materials.
- Developing economic education materials to fulfill state and national curriculum needs..